health and beauty rocsi's remarks

I had eyelash extensions for two months. Are they worth the hype?

January 15, 2018

As human beings, we all have at least one thing about ourselves that we’d like to enhance. A few months ago, my eyelashes were one of those things. I had never even thought about trying eyelash extensions but after a few failed attempts at gluing falsies onto my eyelids, I decided to go for it.

The thought of getting extensions all started after I was getting ready to go to a party. I had done my makeup and managed to apply some false lashes that I picked up at Rite Aid earlier that day. At first, I thought they looked a little extreme, but didn’t think much of it because I figured I just wasn’t used to them. It wasn’t until my parents told me that my eyelashes looked crazy and over-dramatic that I decided it was time to explore a different option. The very next day, I scheduled my first-ever eyelash extension appointment.

I went to my appointment without doing any research and let’s just say I learned a lot about eyelash extensions over the course of the two months I had them. So, (since you’re actually taking the time to look into lash extensions before getting them done, unlike I did) I’m going to tell you all about the pros, cons and my overall opinion about them!

What you need to know: For those of you who aren’t familiar, eyelash extensions are used to enhance the length, curliness, fullness, and thickness of your natural eyelashes. A licensed technician will use semi-permanent glue to apply false lashes, made of either synthetic, silk or mink, to each one of your natural lashes. The procedure usually takes about 1-2 hours, depending on your technician and what you’re getting done.

The Pros

They’re super cute.
I love how full and long my eyelashes looked afterwards! I also loved how natural they looked and I got sooo many compliments! (See photo below.)

They saved me time. I saved a lot of time getting ready for work when I had my extensions because I didn’t have to put on any eyeliner or mascara. It was great!

They’re long lasting. I definitely think I got a lot of bang for my buck with my eyelash extensions. They lasted for a little over two months, which is not bad at all. You’re supposed to get a fill-in every 2-3 weeks but after I had them for about that long, I decided I didn’t want to get a fill-in (you’ll find out why in the cons section).

(Photos I took about a week after getting my lash extensions. ON FLEEK!)

The Cons

They’re expensive. At the establishment I went to, a “full set” (which means you get an entire instillation and not just a fill-in) cost me $150 (fill-ins are $50). I had to lay on the table for 2 hours while the technician applied false lashes to each one of my own. Let’s just say I was very stiff after the procedure.

You’re “not supposed” to wear makeup with them. Especially not mascara. This was very hard for me, as I love wearing mascara and top liner. However, I was highly encouraged not to because any oils or other ingredients that got on to the false lashes, could cause the glue to come off, thus making the lashes fall off. I liked the natural look, but I really missed my eyeliner.

They’re high maintenance. You have to be very mindful of cleaning your lashes. You’re encouraged to use oil-free products, especially soap, as you don’t want to weaken the glue. I was given a special soap just for my lashes. I felt silly using soap just for my eyelashes, so I just stuck to washing my face normally and they would simply get clean just from my face wash. Along with brushing them daily, you’re also advised not to get them too wet, especially 12-24 hours after the procedure (ie. don’t let shower water hit directly on your face).

They get in the way. I couldn’t rub my eyes when they were itchy, and washing my face was super awkward because I literally had to wash around my eyes. Normally, my eyelashes are not a factor when washing my face, but with extensions I had to be very mindful not to get too much soap on my eyelashes or accidentally rub them.

Is it worth the hype? In my opinion, no. Eyelash extensions were awesome (it was great having effortlessly long eyelashes 24/7), but too much of a hassle for me. Don’t get me wrong, I love how they looked but the upkeep turned me off. I’ve decided that, even though they’re significantly shorter, I like my natural eyelashes better. I can actually rub my eyes when they get itchy, I can wear all the eyeliner, eye shadow and mascara I want, and I don’t have to worry about specifically washing my eyelashes.

But if you are the kind of person who doesn’t normally wear eyeliner, eye shadow or mascara and you don’t mind the upkeep, lash extensions might be a great option for you!

Conclusion: I’ve decided I’m going to give falsies another try. Perhaps I just need practice with gluing the strips onto my lids, as well as trying more natural looking ones. I’m also going to look into the newly popular magnetic lashes (that’ll definitely be a post for another day). The best part about both of these options? I can take them off at the end of the day!

I wanna know what you guys think! Have you had eyelash extensions before? Are you planning on getting some! Let me know in the comments!

You Might Also Like

• Reply Erika January 15, 2018 at 7:34 pm

I’m glad you posted this! I’ve been iffy on getting them and I think this has convinced me not too!

• Reply LaTease Rikard January 15, 2018 at 7:45 pm

I think if I were younger I would be more excited about getting them. My nieces look fabulous with them. But I love how you gave your pros and cons.

• Reply Amanda January 15, 2018 at 9:34 pm

I’ve been debating about getting eyelash extensions for a while, and I love that you gave a well-rounded review of your experience. It’s nice to see both positives and negatives!

• Reply Reilly January 15, 2018 at 10:02 pm

thank you so much for such an insightful review! I always go back and forth on weather to get them or not with such blonde hair you cant even see mine with out makeup. But that above is not worth it at all for me! Thank you for saving me the trouble!

• Reply Michelle January 16, 2018 at 11:21 am

I’ve been debating on whether to get extensions for a while now & this post gave me a lot more info about them. Thank you! 😊

• Reply roamy January 16, 2018 at 1:45 pm

thanks for sharing, i never had eyelash extensions but this is something im willing to try as my eye lashes are almost non-existant.

• Reply Jennifer January 16, 2018 at 2:49 pm

They were worth the hype for me. I hardly wear makeup so they were major for me. The refills were $45 and I only did them once a month. I only stopped because I’m trying to save my coin LOL

• Reply Rocsi January 16, 2018 at 10:37 pm

Haha I’m glad they worked for you! I definitely think they’re better if you don’t wear much makeup.

• Reply Hazel Christine Herber January 17, 2018 at 10:59 am

I agree with the points here especially the cons. I think it is too much of a hassle. If there is some permanent solution or alternative I would like to hear it!

• Reply Lindsey Zitzmann January 17, 2018 at 11:33 am

I have a friend who has these and always looks fabulous! I have very light colored eyelashes and feel like I ALWAYS have to wear mascara, so I’ve wondered if these would be worth it. Thanks for the honest opinion…I think I’ll stick to my natural lashes and mascara!

• Reply Tadeja Umek January 17, 2018 at 12:12 pm

I really wanted to try them but decided against it just because of the fact that they are high maintenance. I am going to get the keratin lash list next week though.

• Reply Marie January 17, 2018 at 2:30 pm

I’ve been curious about the whole process and upkeep of getting eyelash extensions. Thanks for your honest and thorough review. I’m probably a bit too low maintenance to really value something like this.

• Reply Elle January 17, 2018 at 11:05 pm

Thanks for sharing this post. I always wanted to get eye lash extensions but haven’t been up to it for the price.

• Reply Jessica Small January 18, 2018 at 9:29 am

Couldn’t agree more! I’m down the end with my extensions and I can’t wait for them to be gone! I absolutely love they way they look but it’s not worth the upkeep…for me.

• Reply Annie January 18, 2018 at 10:14 am

I have never got eyelash extensions but have often thought about it. Thank you for sharing your honest opinion! I think I am with you on not wanting to deal with the upkeep 🙂 I like being able to rub my eyes too!

• Reply Amy January 18, 2018 at 1:11 pm

I had them too. I feel the same way. It’s fun for a bit then becomes a hassle!

• Reply Arielle Joy January 19, 2018 at 11:17 am

Thank you for sharing this! I’ve always wondered about getting lashes done, especially since I have a few weddings I’m going to this year. I’m glad I found your article and you saved me the trouble!

• Reply Terra Heck January 21, 2018 at 4:56 am

This is the first I’ve heard of eyelash extensions. They look great on you! I doubt I’d ever do it because I like to wear eyeliner and don’t have the motivation to be that careful with them.

• Reply Krystal January 22, 2018 at 1:09 pm

Extensions ruined my natural lashes. They’re cute but not worth the cost and time of regrowing.

• Reply MICHELLE KALINA January 22, 2018 at 1:19 pm

I was thinking about it too but decided against it because of the maintenance. Thanks fo your review!

• Reply Mikaela Koia January 22, 2018 at 3:25 pm

I too have been on the fence about getting them or not. I didn’t realise they suggest no makeup! Looks like I need to keep practicing with the falsies!

• Reply Kim January 22, 2018 at 4:03 pm

I’m addicted to mine and can’t imaginr my face without them! I totally agree that 2 hours on the table is brutal, but since I don’t wear makeup much it gives me a hassle free way to look like I at least attempted to look cute lol.

• Reply Lozza January 23, 2018 at 9:38 am

I used to get my eyelashes done every 3 weeks until I got the point where I was fed up of maintaining them. I end up rubbing my eyes and ruining them or pulling them out and after a while I lost most of my natural lashes! Waaa 🙈 I steer clear now and just use a good mascara! Xo

• Reply Jailyn January 23, 2018 at 9:46 am

Informative and honest post. I wouldn’t mind trying out eyelash extensions, but I have NEVER been a lash person so your cons almost confirmed my decision not to try them lol. But I will keep looking into it. Thank you for this post!

• Reply Shannon Dewease January 23, 2018 at 2:05 pm

Not really something I have ever considered because of the initial cost. I had no idea on the upkeep of extensions! Very informative info and helps me decide to definitely stick with my mascara!

• Reply Ruxandra LeMay January 23, 2018 at 3:44 pm

You are right, too much of a hassle, but the post was very educational, thank you!

• Reply bhavana January 23, 2018 at 3:56 pm

I dont know if I would do it ever. Just looking for a quick and easy fix and mascara works super well for me.

• Reply Bianca Worthy January 23, 2018 at 5:17 pm

I love lash extensions, but I can agree with some of your cons. I wear them because I hate mascara. They irritate my contacts, and take too much time to get off. My tech provides plenty of pillows + a cushioned table to encourage lash naps, so I’ve never noticed stiffness that’s any different from sitting in a salon chair. The strength of your tech’s glue will determine how delicate you must be with them. I washed my face and eyes (with eyeliner) like normal. I have to use q-tips to get all of the eye makeup off, but it’s the same when I don’t have the extensions. Give it one more shot!

• Reply Heather LeGuilloux January 23, 2018 at 6:00 pm

Interesting review! I have never thought to get eyelash extensions but it sounds like overall it might not be worth it. I always have a bit of makeup at the ready whenever I need to glam up a bit, anyways.

• Reply Ashli January 24, 2018 at 3:40 am

False eyelashes always seem to look ridiculous on me. I’ve never thought about extensions though…great advice!

• Reply Kelly January 24, 2018 at 9:00 am

Girl, I will NEVER get false eyelashes again!! I had them on for 2 weeks and every single time I would shower or wash my face they would come off WITH my eyelash!!! I had 7 lashes left on both eyes after 2 weeks it was the most horrifying experience ever!! Rodan & Fields Lash Boost works really well!! You should get that!

• Reply Chels January 24, 2018 at 10:30 am

Sis, magnetic lashes!!! I bought some recently and they have changed my eyelash game. They look natural, so easy to apply, and you don’t have to worry about smearing them off in the middle of the day because you can just pop off and reapply. Thanks for this review. I was considering getting extensions but that is far too much maintenance for me.

• Reply Rocsi January 24, 2018 at 10:34 am

I’m so excited to try them! What brand do you use and where did you get them from???

• Reply Chels January 24, 2018 at 5:36 pm

I got mine from Amazon for like $8.99.

• Reply Jessica Foster January 24, 2018 at 1:18 pm

Thanks for your insight – I have pretty weak lashes so I have thought about these. But I also don’t like the feeling of false lashes, and feel like these would bother me. And, I am so used to wearing eye makeup as well. Thanks for breaking it down for us.

• Reply Teeara January 24, 2018 at 4:44 pm

I thought I was the only one who didnt care for eye lash extensions! My first time I was super annoyed trying to wash my face waking up consistently brushing them while the lash is all over the place. GREAT READ!

• Reply Alexa January 24, 2018 at 6:34 pm

I’m so glad you posted about ths, I was definitely wondering about this information!!!!

• Reply Danie January 24, 2018 at 11:15 pm

Lashes are so pretty. Did you get the mink ones? I don’t think you said. I was thinking of doing lashes but I decided to get microblading instead. I hear that process is less of a hassle. You looked gorge in your photos. Hope the next go round is better for you.

• Reply Erica D Ardali January 25, 2018 at 1:34 am

They may have been expensive but they look a heck of a lot better than the falsies I see. They look so natural.

• Reply tracey January 26, 2018 at 1:33 pm

Thanks for the post – my daughter has short/sparse eyelashes and she was considering getting a set. Looks like we’ll be looking for another option…

• Reply Chloe January 29, 2018 at 2:47 pm

Oooo! This is so good to know! I think think looked so GORGEOUS on you! I really want to get some extensions but it seems like a lot of hassle to keep them nice and long lasting. There’s definitely a lot to watch out for. Hehe! I think I’ll stick to falsies for the time being too!

xo, Chloe // https://funinthecloset.com/los-angeles-winter-popjulia-review/

• Reply Ashleigh January 29, 2018 at 3:36 pm

I’ve always wanted to try eyelash extensions!!!

• Reply Halley January 29, 2018 at 3:46 pm

Great Article! I’ve wanted to get eyelash extensions for forever but I have never done it for this exact reason. I’ve heard so many people talking about the upkeep and maintenance and how much of a pain in the butt they are. Your article helped a lot because I too love my eyeliner and mascara! I’ll stick to falsies for now too <3

PS: The false lashes get easier to apply the more you do it. For me, the key is just a little glue and let it dry a little so it's "tacky" feeling before you put them on!

• Reply Rocsi January 29, 2018 at 3:48 pm

That’s a good tip. I’m going to buy some more and try that!

• Reply Shametria January 29, 2018 at 4:04 pm

Agreed. I had individual lashes and I just wanted to yank them off. Not for me but they look so good.

• Reply Maria January 30, 2018 at 12:09 am

I’ve been so curious about these! Do you think they can damage your natural lashes long-term?

• Reply Rocsi January 30, 2018 at 8:40 am

I’m not sure if they damage them persay but I do think it breaks your real eyelashes off after a while. Mine didn’t appear as long as they used to be once my extensions were all gone. I’d rather just get my real lashes to grow longer than to get extensions again tbh.

• Reply Nikki lee January 30, 2018 at 10:40 am

I was just thinking about getting some extensions for a trip I have coming up but I’m lazy I need little maintenance as possible lol

• Reply Calle February 5, 2018 at 10:44 am

This is so good to know! I’ve always wondered if it was worth it (I love long lashes and wearing mascara), but I can barely handle fake lashes so I think I wouldn’t do well with extensions! I think I’ll just focus on keeping mine healthy and long.

• Reply Natalie February 5, 2018 at 10:59 am

I tried them too an had a similar experience. I am going to try the magnetic lashes, but all youtube tutorials show those are a pain in the caboose!

• Reply Sarina February 5, 2018 at 12:44 pm

Nice post! I’ve had them for something like 4 months and I was actually wearing my eyeliner/eyeshadow with them! Obviously no mascara but I didn’t miss it at all! I didn’t struggle much with taking care of them either, the only thing that’s keeping me to get them done again is the price! Right now it’s not the right moment to spend hundreds on lashes 😅 let us know how it goes with the magnetic ones!! xx