inspiration

7 Ways to Set Meaningful and Attainable Goals for 2018

January 2, 2018

It’s that time of year again: “new year, new me.” Yep, we’ve all heard it before. Everyone is talking about their New Year’s resolutions and how they’ve become a whole new person since January 1st. Don’t get me wrong, that’s all well and good…if you’re actually going to make changes.

We’re all guilty of setting goals that we don’t actually follow through with, but this year I want it to be different. I want to not only think of new things to accomplish in the new year, I actually want to write them down, focus on them, and achieve them. If you’re like me and truly want to follow through with your New Year’s goals, this post will be very helpful to you. I’m going to share some tips that will help you set achievable goals for the new year!

Categorize. It’s really helpful to put things in categories. This year, I broke my resolutions down into the following groups: relationships, health, money and self. This way I am able to see a few goals in every category, instead of a daunting list of 50 things in a row.

Keep it concise. I don’t know about you, but I know if I make a super long list of things I need to accomplish in 2018, I’ll be very overwhelmed. Try to keep your list short, including only the most important goals you want to achieve.

Make it personal and don’t rush. Setting goals should be a meaningful and personal process; it’s not some list that you should throw together in two minutes. You should take the time to reflect on the past year you’ve had and think about the things you want to stop doing and start doing. Also, take the time to think about your ultimate goals, and the things you will have to do to get there.

Be strategic. After you’ve reflected on last year, think of new goals that actually make sense for where you are in your life. For example, if you just graduated from college, one of your goals for 2018 could be to save $200 from every paycheck to go towards paying off your student loans.

Make sure they’re specific and measurable. It’s not enough to just say you want to “drink more water.” Well….what is “more water”? You’ll help yourself in the long run if you quantify “more”. For example, instead of saying “more” say, I want to drink at least four 20 ounce bottles of water a day. This way, you will actually know if you’ve met your goal because you’ve been specific with what you want to do and how you’re going to do it.

Make sure they’re challenging yet attainable. It’s important to set goals that will be a realistic challenge for you. I’ll use myself as an example. I do not exercise on a daily basis; I go to a workout class twice a week. Instead of saying I’m going to work out 6 days a week, a challenging yet attainable goal for me would be to workout 4 times a week. This would be a good, gradual start for me because it’s double the amount that I’m working out now, yet not so unrealistic that I know I’m never going to do it (ie. going from 2 days to 6). If you meet your new goal with ease, then you can definitely increase it to be more of a challenge.

Don’t lose them. Put your list of written goals in a place you won’t forget (if you don’t want to literally write, you can type it in the notes on your phone or computer; maybe even make it your background). You can tape your list to your mirror, put it on your dresser or some other place that you’ll see it every day. You don’t want to lose track of the list that you’ve worked so hard on.

I know that setting new goals can be hard, but if we make a conscious effort to set a few meaningful goals, I think we can definitely stick to it! What are some of your goals for the new year? How do you keep track of them? Let me know in the comments!

You Might Also Like

• Reply Annie Cho January 2, 2018 at 7:22 pm

These are such smart ways of actually creating resolutions that I can actually accomplish!
    xoxo
    Annie

• Reply Heather LeGuilloux January 2, 2018 at 8:50 pm

I like your point about goals being challenging but also attainable. There’s nothing worse than setting unrealistic expectations of ourselves that could be nearly impossible to accomplish.. yet it can also be important to feel pushed out of our comfort zone. Have to find the balance!

• Reply Jane January 3, 2018 at 3:46 am

These tips are so on point and super helpful. Yes, goals must be personal and no need to rush! And I agree, make your goals challenging but attainable. And don’t forget to have fun, thank you for sharing and happy new year 🙂

• Reply Lisa January 3, 2018 at 9:29 am

These are great tip! I still have yet to set my goals up 🙈 I’ll keep this in mind when I do!

XO-Lisa

• Reply Lacy Ngo January 3, 2018 at 11:52 am

Great tips! I hope I can reach my goals this year!

• Reply Ipsita Paul January 3, 2018 at 1:56 pm

I’ve made another list this year; though I sincerely doubt whether those goals will ever come true. Great tips by the way.

• Reply Tangela January 3, 2018 at 3:54 pm

First, I love the name of your blog!! These are great tips!! I love how you suggested to categorize goals into different groups!! Thanks for sharing!!

• Reply Jessica Foster January 3, 2018 at 4:13 pm

So many people set goals for the New Year and don’t stick with them, either because they are unrealistic, hard to make into a habit, or they just end up giving up. These tips really makes the goal setting more strategic and practical.

• Reply Kathryn January 3, 2018 at 10:07 pm

These are awesome tips on how to tackle your goals and categorise them so you can achieve.

• Reply Danie January 3, 2018 at 10:39 pm

All great suggestions. I hope that we all can do a little to make ourselves better this year. Even if it is not a huge goal just a small change like being kinder to one person might help the world be a little less harsh ya know?

• Reply Teeara January 4, 2018 at 11:16 am

Great tips!!!!! Love this super inspirational

• Reply Helen Vella January 4, 2018 at 1:34 pm

Totally agree with all you say here. Especially about keeping them close as a reminder to keep on track and focused.

• Reply Amber Roshay January 4, 2018 at 5:14 pm

I read recently that New Year’s Resolutions last about 30 days, so here’s to a 2018 of reaching our goals. Thanks for the great tips!

• Reply michelle January 4, 2018 at 5:26 pm

I enjoyed reading your post. It was very inspiring and timely. You mentioned being specific and measurable on your goals and I completely agree. This is where I often find I have the most opportunity. Making sure I am being clear on what I want and where I want to go. Thanks!

• Reply Bryana January 4, 2018 at 6:02 pm

Fellow blogger here, I loved your great ideas! I also wrote my 2018 goals in categories and then prioritized three. For example, my blog goal is to post two times a month.

• Reply Stacy January 4, 2018 at 7:42 pm

Great post! I love setting goals, but I could focus more on keeping them in front of me!

• Reply Terrisa January 5, 2018 at 7:49 am

I love to categorise my goals as well. I truly helps me to focus. One of my goals for this year is to build the awareness of my brand Dear Curl Friend on Instagram. I am doing that by being engaged in multiple Facebook groups for Instagram engagement. Right now I am posting in each group daily but I am starting a full-time job soon which will cause me to scale back a bit initially. Once I have a good flow at my day job I will jump back in to posting daily.

• Reply Elise Ho January 5, 2018 at 1:16 pm

Specific goals are so important. If we do not get down to the nitty gritty we will really not have a goal attained.

• Reply Elise Ho January 7, 2018 at 2:24 pm

YES! Challenging yet attainable. I agree they need to be a bit harder than you think you can manage but not so much so that you cannot do it at all.

• Reply Jennifer January 8, 2018 at 8:38 am

Great Post! I am working on my goals as well – making a large one but then much smaller attainable goals that lead to the biggers ones. 🙂

• Reply Monika January 8, 2018 at 12:29 pm

Categories! That’s such a good advice! makes it so much easier and more organized, love that! 😉

• Reply Samantha January 8, 2018 at 8:47 pm

This is great! SMART goals are so much easier to keep! Will be sharing this on my Facebook page!

• Reply Lacy Ngo January 9, 2018 at 12:35 pm

I LOVE every. single. one. of these tips! Excellent! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Christina January 9, 2018 at 10:36 pm

These are such great tips! I’m ready to rock the New Year.

• Reply Melanie January 11, 2018 at 10:33 am

Great tips, I’ll have to keep these in mind when setting my 2018 goals!

• Reply Courtney from Antipodean Adventurer January 12, 2018 at 1:12 am

Perfect timing to read this as I’m just about to set my own goals for 2018! Thanks for sharing 🙂

• Reply Bronx January 12, 2018 at 3:24 am

I like the tip to tape them on your mirror! I think the daily reminder of your goals alone will make you want to work on them more!

• Reply Rawlings sunday January 12, 2018 at 6:33 am

Great work here. Well-detailed and more direct. I broke down my goals to the smallest bit to make it smart and achievable for me.

• Reply Nadalie January 12, 2018 at 9:40 am

It’s so important to ensure that your goals are meaningful, and I do find that the process of writing them out and planning helps you reflect on that.