inspiration lifestyle

5 Quotes That Helped Me Stop Worrying About the Future

December 3, 2017

One of the most important things I’ve learned since I started my spiritual journey is to live for today and not worry about tomorrow (the future) because it’s in God’s hands. Essentially, “If you pray, don’t worry. If you worry, why pray?” I felt like I was doing such a good job at this, until recently.

Recently, a situation happened that made me question what the future holds for me. Prior to this situation, rejection or things not going my way didn’t make me sad or discouraged. Instead, I was happy because I knew that everything happens for a reason and whatever it was that I was trying to do simply wasn’t in God’s plan for me at the time. I was in such a good space.

Unfortunately, I started to slip away from that mindset when the situation occurred. I felt confused and uncomfortable not knowing what would happen in the future. But this time, instead of relying on the fact that things will work out according to God’s plan, I decided to take matters into my own hands. It’s almost as if I was trying to force my will (as my sister would say). I was doing so much to try to get the future outcome that I wanted, that I didn’t take the time to be patient and wait on God.

I prayed for God to give me sign to let me know what I should do in this situation. Now, as I reflect on it, perhaps things not going my way (aka rejection) was the sign from Him—letting me know that the very thing I thought I wanted is not what He had planned for me.

I know that so many of us go through situations like this–where we do what we want to do, without consulting with God first. We constantly pray, asking Him for signs, but ignore them because it’s not what we wanted.

Luckily, with the help of prayer, quotes and scriptures, I came to my senses after about a week, and I’m going to share with you the specific ones that helped me get back on track:

“When I’m worried, it’s usually because I’m trying to do everything myself. When I’m at peace, it’s usually because I remember that God is in control.”

“Sometimes the best thing you can do is not think, not wonder, not imagine, not obsess. Just breathe, and have faith that everything will work out for the best.”

“When your present surroundings are pleasant yet you start feeling some negative emotion, it’s important to capture your thoughts and examine them. Most of the time you will discover you’ve been worrying about some future event.” – Sarah Young, Dear Jesus

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” – Matthew 6:34

If you’re a flawed human being, like myself, then it’s inevitable that you’ve had similar feelings when thinking about your unknown future. The good news is: that’s okay! God knows that we are not perfect people, and hopefully reflecting and referring to quotes like these will help us to manage our thoughts and keep them present.

Have you been frustrated or uncomfortable not knowing what the future holds? What helps you feel less anxious when you have those feelings? Any other helpful quotes or scriptures you refer to? Let me know in the comments!

If you found these helpful, you can follow RRTB on Instagram and Facebook for even more inspirational and encouraging quotes.

You Might Also Like

• Reply Elise Cohen Ho December 4, 2017 at 4:27 pm

You picked some fabulous quotes. I especially love this one:

• Reply Devi December 4, 2017 at 10:49 pm

Awesome quotes ! Well written .. Thank you sharing

• Reply suresh lukhi December 5, 2017 at 12:09 am

your info is quite helpful to forever.This article important and really good the for me is.Keep it up and thanks to the writer. 🙂 🙂

• Reply Andrada December 5, 2017 at 4:24 pm

This post is incredible. The quotes are good to keep in mind. Thanks for sharing this.

• Reply Chelsea December 5, 2017 at 5:26 pm

love this! will definitely think of these quotes when i’m feeling anxious about the future

• Reply Herlina Kwee December 5, 2017 at 9:22 pm

I have been in this situation of not knowing what my future holds for the past 2 years when He uprooted me and planted me on the other side of the world. I learned to let go of my plans and my dreams and to trust that He has a bigger plan for me. Whatever that is! See, this not knowing drives me crazy sometimes!! : )

• Reply Rafi Nandi December 6, 2017 at 8:46 am

The second quote described exactly what I’m struggling at in my day to day life. Training my brain and mind to shut itself down for a moment is incredibly difficult.

• Reply Anoop December 6, 2017 at 8:46 am

We often worry too much about our future. But, all we can really do is focus on our work and not worry about the outcomes. A good read, thanks for sharing.

• Reply Anissa December 6, 2017 at 9:11 am

Very inspiring. One of my goals is to stay present in the journey and stop worrying about what’s next. Thank you for sharing!

• Reply Wendi December 6, 2017 at 9:14 am

This is such a great reflection on the tough thing you went through. I can definitely relate to this in so many ways! Thank you for the inspiration and uplifting scripture to help others on a similar journey! We all need to give our troubles to God more and worry less.

• Reply Tiana December 6, 2017 at 9:22 am

Amazing quotes

• Reply Julia Tan December 6, 2017 at 11:57 am

It’s so good to be reminded that God is in control even when we don’t feel in control. I’ve been trying to do too much on my own power the last few weeks and it’s showing…

• Reply Kasia Olszewski December 6, 2017 at 12:48 pm

Something I definitely need to read today. Thank you so much for sharing.

• Reply Donna Suzanne December 6, 2017 at 1:22 pm

Thank you for your post, it is so easy for us to drift from having our dependance on Him, but He is so faithful! He promises that He will keep in peace those whose minds are set on Him.
    I really like this quote you shared. ” “If you try to carry tomorrow’s trouble today, you will stagger under the load and eventually fall flat. You must discipline yourself to live within the boundaries of today.” – Sarah Young, Dear Jesus” Thanks for your post!

• Reply Elisa December 6, 2017 at 2:03 pm

These quotes are very uplifting, I will share these with my daughter. Thanks for providing such good positive material. 🙂

• Reply Ashley December 6, 2017 at 4:10 pm

Great post! I love theses quotes, I have to remind myself to not worry about things I can’t control and to remember that God’s got it!

• Reply Heidi December 6, 2017 at 7:43 pm

I love these quotes! I will save this for when I am struggling with understanding what is to come. 🙂

• Reply Kyia December 6, 2017 at 8:06 pm

Love this so much! Thank you for sharing!!

• Reply Lauren December 6, 2017 at 11:00 pm

i absolutely love reading quotes when i am down or needing inspiration. it helps me get through whatever i am feeling

• Reply Prescott December 6, 2017 at 11:33 pm

I had to learn to let go and let God. Let his will be done and everything will turn out alright in the end. If it’s not alright then it’s not the end. God bless

• Reply Allison December 7, 2017 at 8:37 am

These are good! Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Lacy December 7, 2017 at 9:11 am

I was trying to pick my favorite quote, but I couldn’t I love them all. So so true! Thank you so much for sharing!

• Reply Brandee December 7, 2017 at 9:15 am

I just read a thing online that said “If it doesn’t open, it’s not your door.” your post just reiterates that. Thank you.

• Reply SJeevan December 7, 2017 at 10:05 am

Enjoyed. Thank you for sharing

• Reply Dagmara December 7, 2017 at 12:06 pm

Nice quotes. I find that worrying robs us of happiness. We are so stressed about what might be that we forget to focus on the present moment and enjoy what is happening right now. Just trust that where you are is exactly where you need to be. 🙂 Thank you for sharing!

• Reply Kelly December 7, 2017 at 3:02 pm

I NEEDED THIS TODAY!! I love that so many of them are faith based/driven. It’s hard to let Go and let God sometimes, but it’s so necessary to living a positive, happy, fruitful life. Thanks for this post, my friend!!

• Reply Jordan December 7, 2017 at 3:07 pm

Matthew 6:34 has helped me out so much lately. My kids have been acting outrageously, and my momma mind rushes to worrying about my parenting, our home, etc. Knowing that leaning on the Lord is all I can do in these situations makes everything a tiiiiny bit easier. 🙂

• Reply Tisha December 7, 2017 at 3:24 pm

Everyone has been here at some point! I always find myself laughing when I finally let go and God manifest His power, but we can’t help ourselves. Learning to be obedient and dependent is a journey, one worth taking! Loved the quotes too, close to finishing Jesus Calling by Sarah Young, definitely need to get my hands on Dear Jesus.
    Thanks for sharing- really enjoyed this!

• Reply Heather LeGuilloux December 7, 2017 at 6:57 pm

Living in the present moment can be difficult at times but also really helpful to put the stress of the future on hold and focus on what’s most important right in front of you. You have found some fantastic quotes!

• Reply Devin Wiliams December 7, 2017 at 8:19 pm

Fantastic post! It was about 2 years ago I had and awakening about believing in god. Thanks for these quotes! I needed this

• Reply Melissa December 8, 2017 at 12:23 am

Being patient and trusting God is so important. As a parent, I can see the importance of having my kids trust me even when they don’t understand. It helps me see God’s heart during the times when I don’t understand!

• Reply Angelica Sereda December 8, 2017 at 9:22 am

Yes, have faith and know that everything will work itself out. Love that one 🙂

• Reply Danie December 8, 2017 at 9:00 pm

That 2nd one is so true I had to do that today. Its snowing in Atlanta and we are not equipped to drive in the snow. I was getting my nails done and another nail tech kept giving all these bad reports because she was nervous. I had to ask her to not come over anymore. Fear and worry will have you all amped up for no reason. I did not enjoy getting my nails done and it was a waste because I got home fine. Worry is not worth it.

• Reply Annie Cho December 8, 2017 at 9:10 pm

Love these quotes. I also enjoy “Let go, Let God.” 🙂
    XOXO
    Annie

• Reply Vox December 9, 2017 at 7:19 am

Since it’s hard to understand why God allows things to happen or to know when you need to take action, your post is particularly important. What I have decided is that God wants me to fulfill my joyful purpose, so I should do the work toward my big goals and I will know if what am doing is right through his rewards upon my process. We spent years SIMPLY waiting on God to move until we came to the realization that He wants us to use the gifts he gave us and he will meet us while we are working. This way, we continue to pray, but don’t worry. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply lily December 9, 2017 at 1:13 pm

So good to know that God is in control. So hard to apply it at all times, especially in the face of troubling and rough circumstances.

• Reply Sheena December 9, 2017 at 2:40 pm

I love the quotes! I just recently began doing daily devotionals by Sarah Young, and they have been such a blessing! Great post!

• Reply Crisly December 10, 2017 at 9:16 am

Thank you for these quotes, it helped you and I am sure it helped more people and will help more. I agree, we human beings tend to ask for signs and then ignore them because it is not what we wanted. Most of us remember to pray when we are troubled, then forget if we are well.
    These are great reminders.

• Reply Rawlings December 10, 2017 at 12:12 pm

Tough times never last, tough people do. We must always cast our worries to God because he cares. Surely we must worry but when we remember the promises of God for us and his word, we worry less.

• Reply mark December 11, 2017 at 3:15 am

Well written..

• Reply Janice December 11, 2017 at 10:05 am

What a touching and inspiring post! It takes a while to learn to just let go and let God. Thanks for sharing this loving post! The quoted you picked not home.

• Reply Trisha December 11, 2017 at 11:30 am

This post made me smile. I love your choices in quotes.

• Reply Ashley December 11, 2017 at 11:59 am

I needed this today! Last week was incredibly challenging and stressful!

• Reply Jaime December 11, 2017 at 4:02 pm

This post was just what I needed today. Thank you so much! ❤️

• Reply Amanda December 11, 2017 at 11:07 pm

Thank you! These are some good quotes. Leaning on Jesus and following his lead is always the best way to go!

• Reply nikhila December 12, 2017 at 3:33 am

A pink themed blog, wow, lovely. Great article as well.

• Reply D'Lambert December 12, 2017 at 9:49 am

Good stuff. I find there is an ultimate balance to be achieved in most of the areas of our lives, our dreams, desires and goals can point us in the direction we want to go and we can take assured steps. But I, like you, know you can’t control and plan everything in life, sometimes a rejection is for protection, a present failure is for aquiring knowledge we will need in the future and so on. The ore you connect to the divine, the more you can both work in harmony were principles of wu-wei come into effect.

• Reply Natalie December 12, 2017 at 10:26 am

Very good! Sometimes I say to myself “Will worrying change the outcome?” I then redirect my thoughts.
    Thank you for sharing!

• Reply Anne December 12, 2017 at 10:37 am

Very inspirational, thank you very much for this nice post!

• Reply Mel Chanté December 12, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Love this posts and the quotes you used! Definitely an inspirational read, I can relate to this completely.

• Reply Jailyn December 12, 2017 at 1:50 pm

Love the post, especially the third quote. I’ve been trying to combat my negative thoughts in the moment they happen. It hasn’t been easy, but it’s worth it. Thank you for sharing!!

• Reply Russelyn December 12, 2017 at 2:35 pm

This is an awesome post. I’m glad it only took you a week to come to your senses. Some of us our slower learners 😊.

• Reply Elise Ho December 12, 2017 at 7:35 pm

I love great quotes. I always come back to them over and over again.

• Reply Sarah Miller December 12, 2017 at 9:41 pm

I needed this today. That verse from Matthew has been a staple in my life for years. Thanks so much!

• Reply Ali Dunnell December 13, 2017 at 6:15 am

Such beautiful quotes and so important to remember to live in the moment. Thank you for sharing your post

• Reply Erin December 13, 2017 at 10:27 am

Such a lovely post 💗

• Reply Brianna December 13, 2017 at 10:28 am

I love this! Thank you for sharing such an awesome post. I needed this this week

• Reply Randie December 13, 2017 at 11:27 am

This was great and spot on. I also worry a lot and have had real bad bouts of anxiety. But quotes and scripture help me too . Lately, one Jeremiah scripture in the Bible keeps me grounded: “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, one of welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” It’s really been a saving grace this year. Thanks again!

• Reply Rocsi December 13, 2017 at 11:30 am

I love that one! Thank you for sharing!

• Reply Joleisa December 13, 2017 at 11:55 am

If only we would always remember to not worry about situations but instead to leave things in God’s hands. I know that it is hard sometimes so we have to pray about it, and also keep reminding ourselves, rejection or not. What is for us, God will give to us, but only in His time. Thanks for the timely reminder.

• Reply Jessica Jones December 13, 2017 at 12:25 pm

I love this because I can relate. I would get so stressed
    About things I couldn’t control. Now I just pray and leave it in God’s hands.

• Reply Jenny December 13, 2017 at 3:36 pm

Really enjoyed this! It took lots of struggling and pain over the past few years to help me let go of worry and control. And to (mostly) live each day without planning out every detail of the week. I could’ve have done without the difficulties, but God definitely used them to change me for the better. Great read!

• Reply Ramona Spires December 13, 2017 at 4:55 pm

This is such an inspiring post. I can relate to each quote.

• Reply LeeAnn @ Girl Bosses Rock December 13, 2017 at 5:08 pm

We must always remember that God IS in control! Don’t get caught up in the details, just go along for the ride and let Him lead you where you were meant to go!

• Reply Wonderseekersblog December 13, 2017 at 5:20 pm

This is amazing, love the quotes ! <3

• Reply Natasha Durel December 13, 2017 at 8:16 pm

The just breathe quote hit home for me – thank you!!

• Reply Heidi December 13, 2017 at 8:53 pm

Thank you for these! I needed them! I will bookmark them to look at them when I am overwhelmed with worry. 🙂

• Reply Zee December 14, 2017 at 12:20 am

Lovee the quotes that you picked up. Coincidentally needed to read something like this now due to my current state of mind. Cant believe how much I related!